Below are short comments and links to the towns where there is a Union Bank branch:
Before the coming of the railroad, the Avoyelles Parish community known as "Norma" had a population of some 800 residents in 1894. There was a school, a church, and many houses. The residents all knew one another in this quiet community and life was lived in an era that thrived on religion, closeness to relatives and friends, tending the fields, and lending a "coup de main" The settlement was named after Norma Jeansonne, whose wife, Cora Chaze Jeansonne, was the first postmaster.
But a German immigrant, William Edenborn of Shreveport, changed the course of life of the Norma residents in the year 1902. Edenborn was a railroad tycoon who bought right of ways for a railroad in Ward Four and beyond. One of those lots was sold by Celestin Villemarette on August 2, 1902, and was the first deed noting the lot as being at "Hessmer Station." Hessmer was named after Edenborn's mother and possibly his sister as well. For more information about Hessmer <click here>
Bunkie is located right in the middle of our great state of Louisiana. Once a thriving railroad town, our chamber office is located in the old train depot which has just been renovated and added to the National Register of Historical Landmarks. We are proud to be the home of the Louisiana Corn Festival. For more information about Bunkie <click here> or For Chamber info <click here>
For the news around Bunkie <click here>
Marco Litche, a native of Venice, Italy and a traveling peddler, migrated to Avoyelles Post c. 1794. Because of a broken wagon wheel, the pleasant environment, and friendliness of the Indians and local residents, he decided to stay in the area. He established a trading post and eventually became known as Mark Eliche and founded Marksville. For for information about Marksville <click here>
For a profile of Marksville <click here>
The present site of Alexandria was a natural one for settlement because of its location on the Red River. The river was not navigable above this point for many months each year due to the rapids. For practically half of the year (from July to January), Alexandria was at the head of navigation on Red River. During this time, boats could not ascend above this point due to the rapids in the river. All cargoes had to be transported by land around this impediment and re-shipped. In some seasons of the year, the upper river was so shallow that boats could not make the trip. As a result of this condition, a number of warehouses were built to store goods moving from South Louisiana to Western Louisiana and Texas. The merchants who owned these warehouses purchased the products that were brought overland to this point and supplied the planter and trader with the necessary goods.
The Red River and its tributaries were the main arteries of transportation for the area. In 1769, the section of what is now Rapides Parish was deeded by France to Spain. The Alexandria site developed rapidly as a trading post, serving as a center of traffic between the French, Spanish, English, Americans and Native Americans. For more information about Alexandria <click here>
For a profile of Alexandria <click here>
For news around Alexandria <click here>
Louisiana College was founded in Pineville, Louisiana, on October 3, 1906. It is the successor to two earlier Louisiana Baptist schools, Mt. Lebanon University and Keatchie Female College. The first, a men's school founded in 1852 by the North Louisiana Baptist Convention, was located in the community of Mt. Lebanon. The women's College, founded in 1857 by the Grand Cane Association of Baptist Churches, was located in the community of Keatchie. After a history beset by financial difficulties, both schools came under control of the State Baptist Convention in 1899. An Education Commission was selected by the state convention to administer the schools with the understanding that both would be succeeded by a more centrally located college as soon as a suitable campus could be selected. For more information about Pineville <click here>
For a profile of Pineville <click here>
For other Pineville News <click here>
Moreauville, Louisiana is located on Louisiana State Highway 1. It is believed to be where Bayou de Glaises Settlement used to be .. named from Bayou de Glaises, which runs through this town. It was the site of the organization of the first Corn Club in Louisiana (as early as 1908), a forerunner of today's 4-H clubs.
For more information on Moreauville, Louisiana <click here>
For other Moreauville News <click here>